Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Race at Cooperland

We had a race at Cooperland in Stillwater this weekend (August 25/26). Mark and Trey practiced together on Saturday. Trey decided that he wanted to race the "long course" at this race. He usually races the Mini 85 class and that is a "short course" race. They don't race the whole course, just sections of it and it is 30 minutes long. He enjoyed riding the long course with Mark so he wanted to race it. Mark was impressed because when they were practicing Trey wasn't ever too far behind him. At one point I think Trey might have been on his back tire! We knew this day was coming just didn't know when.

We thought he would have a 1 1/2 hour break in between races so he could rest. Nope, wrong! He didn't realize it until the riders started lining up while Trey was still racing the short course. Mark was running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to get things ready. We were going to let Trey make the decision on whether he wanted to race the long course since it would be a back to back race. He decided to go for it. Mark got everything ready, had to change the scoring card in his helmet, put gas in the bike and Trey had to pee. We made him drink while we were waiting on the race to start. As time was getting closer Trey had a funny look on his face. He looked at me and said "I should have never drank that much water, now my stomach hurts". Mark and I knew it was nerves and it would pass once he got going. There were people coming up to him and telling him to just take it easy and ride his own race. By this time, not only was Trey getting nervous, but I was as well. My little boy has never been out there with another 100 riders before. Not only was it 100 other riders, but they were adults on big bikes. Trey said "I don't want those guys behind me running me over", then I really got nervous!

Mark was telling Trey that we would stop him on the 2nd lap to gas him up and let him take a little break. Trey said "Can I stop after the 1st lap". At that moment, neither Mark or I figured Trey would last the whole race.

Well the first lap goes by so Mark gets ready for Trey to stop and this is what happened:

Yep, he kept going! Mark said well I guess he didn't want to stop!

The 2nd lap comes and Mark said this time we have to MAKE him stop so he can get gas. We pulled Trey off the track and put him in the shade long enough to gas him up. We made him take his helmet off so he could get a little breeze. Mark asked him if he was tired yet and Trey said "No, I'm having fun". Trey went 2 more laps for a total of 4 laps. On the last lap Trey came by and I shot this picture of him:

He was pretty worn out even though he won't admit it. He pulled over and I told him his race was over he just had to finish that lap.

I ran back to the trailer where I knew he would go so I could tell him how proud I was of him, of course Mark beat me to it. We were so proud that he finished his first long course race! He says he wants to finish out the year (3 more races) doing the long course. We will have to see how that goes!

Here is the final result after the race, he was one worn out boy but of course he won't tell you that!

Our little boy is growing up!


Anonymous said...

I am soooooooooo proud of my grandson. He does me proud!


Anonymous said...

I am sooooooooo proud of my grandson. He makes my chest puff out!!